Friday, March 5, 2010

In Honor of Maj. Rustico P. Luga

(Acknowledgment: The images herein, which were uploaded from google were not intended to be used for profit, but merely to depict the Fil-am Soldiers during WW II, for educational use.)

In April 2010, the Luga Clan shall celebrate the 75th Death Anniversary of GEN. MATEO NORIEL LUGA and at the same time, hold its grand reunion to rekindle the heroism of the three cousins, the (3) tribal warriors of the Ibanag Tribe together with the other tribes in Cagayan Valley, who left Tumauini in Isabela more than half a century ago to join the Katipunan to figth for the independence of our country. After gallantry fighting the Spanish Forces, they fought the Armed Forces of the United States during the Filipino-American War. After the Fil-Am War, they served the Philippine Scout (Constabulary) to maintain peace and order in their respective areas.

Thereafter, Gen. Mateo Noriel Luga , who cannot accept the imperialistic policies of the United States resigned and lived in peace. He settled in Sagay Negros Oriental, his other cousin settled in Tagum, Davao in Mindanao and the other, returned to Tumauini, Isabela. Those after them stood whenever the indepedence of the Philippine Republic is being threatened. Among them, Maria Luga Ferer, the daughter of Gen. Mateo Noriel Luga, who was then the stenographer in the Senate of the First Philippines Republic died during the Second World War by Japanese Bayonets. The offspring of his cousin, Major Rustico P. Luga, joined the Markings Fil-American Guerilla Unit , a major guerilla front of the Fil-Am Forces in Luzon, as its operation officer to lay the ground work for the return of the U.S. Forces to liberate our country from the Japanese Imperial Forces. Now, at 94, Major Rustico P. Luga, shall be one of the oldest surviving Luga who silently fought to depend the independence of our country during the Second World War, to attend this Grand Homecoming of the Luga Clan in Tumauini, Isabela, this April.

"Liberation was a long time coming to the Philippines and no one played a bigger role than the Filipino guerrillas. One native organization was Marking’s Fil-Americans, under the leadership of Colonel Marcos V. Marking. Originally the guerrilla unit was named Hugh Straughn’s Filipino Irregular Troops (FAIT) but after the death of Straughn, Col. Marking took over FAIT’s command which he renamed Marking’s Fil-Americans.

Marking’s guerrilla unit was finely tuned into a network of guerrilla units. Upon his release as a United States Army Forces Far East (USAFFE) prisoner of war, August 15, 1942, Col., Gertrudo San Pedro organized a guerrilla unit which became the 2nd Division and recruited officers and men from the ex-USAFFE’s, ex-Philippine Scouts, ex-Philippine Constabulary, Reservists or Trainees, ex-ROTC cadets, ex-policemen and civilian volunteers, including professionals.

The Division Staff included: Col. Gertrudo San Pedro, Division Commander; Lt Col. Vicente San Pedro, Chief of Staff; Maj. Benjamin Ignacio, G-1; Maj. Pedro Reyes, G-2; Maj. Rustico P. Luga, G-3; and Maj. Raymundo Bombane, G-4. These staff members were duly recognized by the Sixth Army."


No comments:

Post a Comment